Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Law School Fashion.

I know this is a ridiculous thing to post about and probably the last thing I'll be worrying about come September, but as I've read the social structure in law school is very similar to high school...let's just say it worries me. This is not to say I didn't have a great time in high school; it just means that we'll all be subject to snap judgments that may take years to undo.

So, yeah, I don't think I'll necessarily change my "style" (which I would describe as "a lack thereof"). Even if I do, I know I'll quickly revert to my standard-issue jeans/hoodie/danskos. Yes, I wrote "danskos." Does this automatically relegate me to law school pariah? If so, this doesn't bode well for me. I already envision myself as the class misanthrope (yeah, more of this later - i'm basically terrified of meeting new people; i know, i'm a real barrel of issues), so I need all the help I can get. Bah.

In other news, I'm off to the wilds of Vermont for the long weekend! I'll be running in a marathon relay -- so excited!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, don't buy into the law school is like high school thing. I think it can be, but it doesn't have to be.

Recovering Curmudgeon said...

Point taken. In fact, I'm going to my chosen school because it's smaller and supposedly more "mature" -- whatever that means. I'm very excited (and confident) that it'll be great!

Eliza said...

I am going through the same thing. I have had to ditch all my clothes I used in lab b/c of acid holes, etc. Now with all the debt, I will be basically rotating through jeans, khakis, and a few shirts. Gonna be cold in MN.

Anonymous said...

Law school is like high school -- and in high school I didn't "fit in". I made a few friends and we floated along happily under everyone's radar. I loved high school because I emerged with little scarring from the drama.

I treat law school the same way. Works well.

Anastasia said...

Ha-ha. When I saw danskos
I immediately thought, "Oh, she's one of those people I would want to hang out with."

Don't sweat it. Law school is like high school, but the difference is - instead of wanting to be the popular cheerleader-type you're confident in who you are and feel slightly smug about your ability to be an individual.

Katie said...

I'm glad to know there will be another law student somewhere wearing danskos to class.

Anonymous said...

Great work.